Thursday, December 7, 2017

Week 59




November 26, 2017


New area, new difficulties...

well I'm here in Gangnam... should be an adventure... hehe the area is super super super super super super super super super super rich and it feels like you are on the Vegas strip always. It kinda feels like home... but even if you have never served a mission just imagine trying to go on the Vegas strip and get people to stop and talk to you about Jesus.... sounds nearly impossible right? haha (painful laugh)

No but the area is good. Every missionary told me that the area is too hard and that no one talks to you and that you always get rejected, but I don't care what people think. I am going into this area positive and not with a give up attitude. Because of that in my first 4 days in the area I got more numbers that the previous missionaries got in the last three transfers. I learned here that life is all about attitude. The previous missionaries felt the area was too hard and they would never be able to talk to people and get numbers. They were right. I came in thinking there will be a lot of new people and there are a ton of people on the streets here in Gangnam, surely I will get a lot of numbers. I was right.

So my new companion and I were in the MTC together and it was a really good reunion! He has changed a lot and grown up a ton! The district is really really young! The oldest person here has been in Korea a little over a year, just 6 weeks longer than me! So we are young but I am sure we will work hard!

So this week on Pday we just relaxed. I had a farewell lunch with a close friend and then we just came home and told stories and talked. Fun day! That night I had another farewell with our ward mission leader and our investigator that will be baptized soon! I was especially sad to say goodbye to him ;(

Tuesday was a crazy day. I had so much to pack and not too much time, but I got to say goodbye to 4 of some of my favorite members. I actually had two dinners in one night! Sorry guys I wanted to see you both!

Wednesday was move day. I got my new comp and headed out to the new area. It's a big city. and wow it's a rich city.... and yeah I just got unpacked did some studies talked about the area and the people and got to work!

Thursday was the first full day in Gangnam and it was crazy! We had to start the day with studies and then went straight to district meeting. Afterwards, we had a ward mission coordination meeting that took FOREVER... like 2 hours longer than it needs to be. Then we had a Thanksgiving dinner with Brother Kern! He is a returned missionary from Korea back working for Samsung. so he wanted us to feel like home and boy did I!!! It was a good night and we talked to a fair amount of people that day!

Friday we got to spend a lot of time outside which was good! We talked and met some really cool people. We also had a really good planning session for our area and for ways that we can work hard! We also had a district dinner and bonding time so that was fun!

Saturday was a rainy day.. we couldn't do much.. but we still were able to get somethings done. We had a great meal with a member! She owns a super delicious restaurant and she said every thing is free and get however much you want. Then we had English class and there was a huge huge party going on at the church that all of Korea was invited to! It was a special music night and I got to see some new members which was awesome!!!! But other than that we had to spend the day inside and we just updated records and did calls and studies and more planning... I hate rainy days/

Then Sunday was the first impression to the ward. Hmmm lets just say it it could have been worse. there were 2 or 3 really friendly people for sure! Every ward has them, but my three previous areas have had some of most friendly awesome amazing members... so this could be a change. But yeah church was good and people liked my introduction talk and we participated in the primary program which was really fun!!!! hehe and then we went stickerboarding as a district after church!

Over all a good week and I am excited to work in this area! It will be hard for sure but it will be worth it!

And I will end with the experience we had sticker boarding! So the people do reject a lot I won't lie. Like I said at the beginning I won't let that stop me. So we had been asking people to stick stickers for an hour and a talked and everyone said no. Like I have never been rejected by so many people in that short amount of time. It was crazy, and I got so tired of it that I kinda made a bet with the new Elder in our district. I said "how many people do you think will reject me before I get a high five?" He guessed 100 and he guessed 10. Well the first person I jumped in front of and asked high fived me. She left with a big smile and so did i....
So I got the idea to just high five people. If no one will stick a sticker then I'll just make sure everyone that passes me leaves with a smile. The place we were at was right by a store playing really loud Christmas music! The setting was perfect, so I was off being goofy and high fiving girls, guys, kids, grandparents, couples, and workers and everyone was laughing and having a good time and smiling.  Then the new Elder joined in, then another sister, then the other sister and finally the last Elder! Pretty soon our whole district was high fiving people and the whole street we were on lit up with laughter and smiles! I may have not gotten to spread the gospel as much as I wanted that night, but at least I spread joy and happiness, which is what this gospel brings!

Elder Goon


No comments:

Post a Comment